News & Events
The Surprising Benefits of an Infrared Sauna on your Immune System
TL;DR: While further research is needed to fully understand the effects of infrared saunas on the immune system, the available evidence suggests that using a sauna could have potential benefits.
- Are you sick and tired of being run down all the time and catching every bug that goes around?
- Do you wish there was a way to improve your general health and strengthen your immune system?
- You might be shocked to find that there is a quick and easy fix for this problem: an infrared sauna!
Yes, using an infrared sauna regularly can genuinely help your immune system in some amazing ways. We’ll look at several unexpected ways infrared saunas can assist your immune system and enhance your general health in this post. Read on to learn how an infrared sauna might be the immune system boost you’ve been seeking, whether you’re a health fanatic or just trying to find a new method to keep healthy!
Understanding the Immune System first
The immune system is a complex network of cells, tissues, and organs and its main purpose is to defend the body from hazardous pathogens including viruses, bacteria, fungus, and parasites. It is composed of a variety of cells, including white blood cells, which are in charge of recognizing and eliminating invading alien organisms.
When viruses or bacteria or other foreign things enter the body, the immune system detects them and reacts. The innate immune system and the adaptive immune system are the two main lines of defence.
The body’s initial line of defence against invasive pathogens is the innate immune system. The skin and mucous membranes serve as physical barriers, and there are also specialized cells that can swiftly recognize and get rid of foreign objects.
On the other hand, the adaptive immune system takes more time to mature and involves the creation of certain antibodies that specifically target particular diseases. This system has the ability to “remember” previous infections, enabling the body to respond to new infections more quickly and effectively.
The immune system also consists of a variety of white blood cells, each of which serves a particular purpose. T cells, for instance, are in charge of detecting and eliminating malignant or diseased cells, whereas B cells create antibodies that are directed against particular diseases.
Other elements, such as diet, sleep, and stress, also have an impact on the immune system. Lack of sleep and ongoing stress can damage the immune system, whereas a healthy diet rich in minerals and antioxidants can promote immune system function.
Ultimately, the immune system is an essential part of good health and well-being since it works hard to safeguard the body from injury and maintain our well-being.
How Infrared Saunas can benefit your immune system
While the benefits of infrared saunas may not be directly related to the immune system, they can certainly play a role in supporting overall health and well-being, which in turn can have a positive impact on the immune system, here are some we found;
- Lowering stress: Long-term stress releases stress chemicals like cortisol, which can inhibit immunological response, weakening the immune system. By encouraging relaxation and the release of endorphins, which are organic painkillers and mood enhancers, regular sauna use has been found to lower stress levels. Infrared saunas can support a healthy immune system by lowering stress levels.
- Enhancing sleep: Sleep is crucial for a strong immune system since it is when the body creates cytokines, a class of proteins that fight inflammation and illness. According to studies, using a sauna on a regular basis can enhance sleep quality by promoting relaxation and lowering tension. Because better sleep allows the body to manufacture cytokines more efficiently, it can support immune system function.
- Circulation improvement: The heat produced by infrared saunas can aid in better blood flow all over the body. Increased blood flow can promote immune system activity by supplying the body’s cells with more oxygen and nutrients. Also, better circulation can aid in the body’s elimination of waste items, which can ease the strain on the immune system.
- Reducing inflammation: A compromised immune system is one of the many health issues that can be caused by chronic inflammation. Increased circulation and the generation of anti-inflammatory substances like nitric oxide are two ways that infrared saunas have been discovered to alleviate inflammation. Infrared saunas can support a healthy immune system by lowering inflammation.
Although we can’t find any research showing that Infrared Sauna use directly improves your immune system, we have 1 previous study that shows positive changes in things linked to an improved immune system, here it is;
This study was conducted by the Bioethics Committee for Clinical Research at the Regional Medical Chamber in Cracow, Poland to see whether sauna use helps with the increase of white blood cells in athletes and non-athletes.
Nine middle-distance runners with training participated in the study, along with nine non-athletes. Each group underwent two 2-minute cool-down periods after 15-minute sauna treatments in which their internal temperatures increased by 1.2°C. These are the outcomes:
- Comparatively to the group of non-athletes, sauna use resulted in greater body mass reduction and plasma volume among athletes.
- The white blood cell profile showed an increase in the number of white blood cells, lymphocytes, neutrophils, and basophils following the sauna session.
- Leukocyte and monocyte increases were greater in the group of athletes than in the untrained subjects following the sauna bathing session.
The findings showed that the trained athletes’ group’s immune system was more strongly boosted by sauna use compared to non-trained subjects.
This study shows an increase in white blood cells, lymphocytes, neutrophils, and basophils production from both groups following their sauna sessions. This increase would lead to a stronger and better immune system for sure.
Although there is very little medical research done on this topic, based on this study it’s safe to assume that infrared sauna use will have a positive effect on your immune system.
Overall, incorporating regular infrared sauna sessions into your wellness routine may be a helpful way to support your immune system and promote overall health.
While further research is needed to fully understand the effects of infrared saunas on the immune system, the available evidence suggests that using a sauna could have potential benefits.
If you’re interested in exploring this therapy further, consider speaking with a healthcare professional and exploring options for safe and effective sauna use.
Thanks for reading!